Monday 1 July 2013

June's Wildflowers

June has just been amazing for wildflowers. On my route from home to playgroup, school and the allotment I have been spotting so much on the roadside and verges. I think there is a flower here for every day in June!

Ivy-leaved Speedwell : Hawthorn : Wall Speedwell
Birdsfoot-trefoil : Scarlet Pimpernel : Hop Trefoil
White Clover : Birdsfoot-trefoil : Ground Ivy


Cut-leaved Cranesbill : Red Clover : Cat's Ear
Creeping Cinquefoil : Meadow Buttercup & Sheeps Sorrel : Herb Bennet
Prickly Sowthistle : Cleavers : Ground Elder


Hedge Mustard : Red Valerian : Hedge Woundwort
Broad-leaved Willowherb : Bramble : Sheeps Sorrel
Rough Chervil : Common Mouse-ear Chickweed : Ox-eye Daisy


Elderflower : Dog Rose : Wild Strawberry : Ox-eye Daisy

The last picture says it all really... stopping almost daily to point out a new flower to my little companion and photograph it, is fostering an interest in him too as he has started pointing them out to me!
I'm learning so much from doing this little project of recording the wildflowers on this route. Hedge mustard and hedge woundwort are new names to me. However I'm still undecided on the positive identification of Hop Trefoil... is it Black Medick I wonder, which looks almost identical? I may have to wait until the seeds form as if they are black then apparently it's Black Medick! If anyone can help me with this I'd be very grateful!

Here are April's and May's wildflowers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed - thank you!