Wednesday 17 September 2014

the first to fly the nest

It has been an emotional roller coaster preparing our eldest son to embark on his new life as a university student in Bradford. Over the weekend, he packed up his things and we all went to Bradford on what was quite a nerve wracking journey for me... was there anything I should have done/bought to prepare him better?
I needn't have worried. As soon as we got there he began to adapt to and relish his new surroundings - unpacking his things and introducing himself to his new housemates. The halls on campus are so well designed with a strong sense of community - a perfect start to independent life.
We stayed overnight in Bradford to get to know the city a little better and help him to get his bearings (and not to rush the goodbye!).
And what a fascinating city it is...

City Hall, Bradford

Did you know Henry V was a keen footballer!

The 'Little Germany' quarter



Queen Victoria photographed by Fred
Bradford Cathedral
I liked the juxtaposition of the new city development with the beautiful relics of the city's Victorian textile heritage.

 


 


We loved this city... the boy chose well! I am a little bit envious of him as I would just love to be a student here, but I had to leave him to enjoy this place on his own, in his own way. And yes I did shed a few tears in the car, a few more when we arrived home, and even more in the supermarket the next day! It feels like grief, but for a good change, so I mustn't be too sad. He is happy, therefore so must I be, but roll on Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed - thank you!